Sunday, July 22, 2012

Surfin couches, who would have thought!

So couch surfing, I remember when I was first told of this alien concept, I remember thinking to myself, good god, why would anyone let random strangers sleep on there couch!?! Now, after trying it and becoming part of this amazing yet random community, I know why, I’ve become enlightened so to speak! They are kind ass folks, that’s all… others trying to help others, and well, isn’t that just a nice way to be! 

I arrived in NYC not knowing what my couch surfing experiences would hold, I was leaving my fate in the hands of random strangers, whom I never met or spoken with, only contact through brief email exchanges. Anything could have happened to me, I left myself wide open, and I am so thankful that I did, what a wonderful bunch! Yes, that is right, no weirdo’s, murderers, mental folk, just honest, kind and caring people, all looking out for my every need! I was taken out for the most amazing lunch, saw a NBA game, had traditional Turkish food cooked for me, I slept on the best of couches and blow up mattresses, had the most inspiring conventions, learnt more about various cultures than I ever would have from some cheesy guide book, saw Cuba Gooding Jnr, stayed in the Village (a super posh part of NYC for those who don’t know). I even got my fortune read by a world famous physic!! Seriously, I shit you not, all of these wonderful experiences were given to me by people whom I never encountered before, all willing to help out a fellow traveler, for nothing, zip, nada… no agendas, no cash… just out of sheer kindness! 

Whatever notions I had about the world being a bad place vanished in NYC, and who would have thought NYC in the big bad city, is where I would have experienced the most random acts of kindness I have had to date! 
That’s the cool thing about travelling I suppose, all the preconceptions and small minded thinking disappear, you become open to the world and realize its full of amazing people, who want to help, who care, who will you to succeed and will go to great lengths to make your journey that little bit better. I owe a lot to NYC and to my couch surfing buddies, you made me a better person (hopefully)!
Love & Light x
couch surfin buddies NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment